Top 10 FAQ
Buffer is a tool that can hopefully help out in a few ways. First, you can write a bunch of posts at one time, choose which social profiles to send them to, and then Buffer will spread them out throughout the day or week so that you don't have to be at a computer all the time in order to have a social media presence. You can also attach a photo, video or animated GIF to any of your posts. Second, since we shorten your links for you, we are able to provide more analytics than if you just were to post to Twitter or Facebook directly. We love to take a look to see what we can learn from these analytics.
There are a few steps to getting set up. First, connect your profiles on the left. Then, for each profile, hop into the "Schedule" tab to choose the days and times that your posts will go out. To add a post, click the "what do you want to share" box at the top of the page, and type or paste in your post. Also click the avatars for your profiles to choose which profiles this post will go to. Then, once you add it to your Buffer, you will see it under the "queue" tab for those profiles. Once the post has gone out you can click on the "Analytics" tab to see how it performed.
There are a few simple steps to getting set up. First, connect your social profiles to Buffer. Then, for each profile, hop into the "Schedule" tab to choose the days and times that your posts will go out. To add a post, click the "what do you want to share?" box at the top of the page, and type or paste in your post. Then, click the avatars for your profiles to choose which profiles this post will be scheduled to. Once you add it to your Buffer, you will see it under the "Buffer" tab for each of those profiles.
Currently, with Buffer, you can connect to the following types of accounts:
- Facebook: Profile, Page, and Group (for groups you do have to be the admin)
- LinkedIn: Profile, Company Page, and Group (for groups you do have to be the admin)
- Twitter: Profile
- Google+: Business Pages
- Pinterest accounts (On Awesome and Business)
On the Individual Plan you can connect one account from each of these platforms whereas with the Awesome Plan you can add a combination of up to 10 accounts.
Start adding your post as you normally would, either through the web app, the browser extension or in a third party channel (e.g. Twitter, Facebook). Once you've composed an update, click the little arrow next to the "Add to Queue" button in the bottom right of the share box. Three more options will appear, click "Schedule Post." A calendar will pop up where you can choose a date and time for your post to be published. Click "Schedule" to add it to your queue. Once you have added the post, you will be able to see which post is custom scheduled as it will have a grey background on the post timestamp.
By the way, shuffling your Buffer queue won't move the custom scheduled post :)
This is definitely a downfall on our end and something we need to work on making clearer. Right now each social profile has a unique timezone, rather than an account wide timezone. If you're up for it, click into the "Schedule" tab and you should see the timezone in the top right corner. You can adjust it here and then have the option to apply that timezone to all profiles. If you'd prefer unique timezones, you can click through each profile listed on the left side of the screen to set that up. Here's a quick video of what that looks like!
On the Individual (free) Plan, you can connect one profile for each social account. (So, one Twitter, one Facebook, one Google+ and one LinkedIn). You can also store up to 10 posts for each profile at any given time.
With the Awesome plan ($10/month or $102/year), you also get:
- Up to 10 social profiles (as opposed to just one of each). So, you could manage multiple accounts (like multiple company Twitter accounts or personal ones along with professional ones.)
- Up to 100 Posts in your Buffer (as opposed to only storing 10 at a time). This means you can add posts pretty much as far ahead as you would like to.
- Varied schedules. With the Individual Plan you can choose days and times but not different times for different days. So, I can have my posts go out at 3 PM and 5 PM, Monday and Wednesday. On the paid plan, you can have 3 go out every Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 6 on Friday, etc. All at whatever times you set.
- 15 RSS Feed per connected profile. You're able to connect up to fifteen feeds for each of your connected profiles.
If you're looking to have your posts repeat, one option is once a post has gone out and is in the 'analytics' tab you can hover over it and the option to 're-buffer' will appear. Another option, if you know you want the post to repeat while scheduling, is using the Buffer extension. If you click into the 'Power Scheduler' tab you could schedule a post at certain intervals. Here's a sneak peak.
A handy distinction here is that Buffer will download to your Facebook account and then you can use it to manage your business page. It might look like you're connecting your profile at first and then at the end you have the option to choose the page.
(Although we authenticate your page through your personal profile, we won't access your personal information or post on your profile. We only post content you have added to your Buffer account.)
- Open facebook.com. Log in as your personal profile. (If your personal profile is an admin for your page, if not see next set of steps.) At this step, it's important not to "use Facebook as" your Page. So, the best thing to do is just be looking at your own profile. You have to be "using Facebook as" the profile you can be friends with, not the page you can like.
- Go back over to Bufferapp.com in a different tab. Click "connect more"-->"connect Facebook page".
- The next pop up that will appear is just connecting Buffer to your Facebook account and not a specific profile or page just yet.
- Once you hit 'okay' there you'll get one more pop. This is the step that is going to let you connect your business page, hit 'okay' one more time.
- Finally you'll be directed to the 'choose a profile or page' option. Go ahead and select the page you'd like to connect.
Select the profile you're looking to remove from the list on the left and then click "Settings" in the upper right corner. Then, click "remove." You'll have to confirm because removing a profile also deletes all data and history. If that's cool, click that you're sure.