Read on for the highlights, or check out the full recap of this chat!
What advice do you have for someone just starting out with their website?
- Use WordPress as your platform and build an email list from Day 1!
- For those wondering, when I refer to
#WordPress — I mean the self-hosted one (see the difference)
More great advice:
- “Keep your audience in mind for all copy—what do they want? How will you provide value? Benefits over features. ^Hayley” @unbounce
- “Make sure it looks appealing and professional and be consistent with your content” @TeriMKojetin
- “Don’t expect immediate results. Keep posting great #content, stay diligent, share it wisely & results will follow.” @CraigWilliamsPR
How do you balance flattering design and usability?
- Design with usability first approach. Usability trumps beauty.
More great advice:
- “Usability definitely outweighs design. Think about what your users want. Sometimes, the best designs are simple.” @samdunsiger
- “Design around your target market, what I think is usable and stylish might not keep my clients’ attention” @sitoub
- “Intuition. Does not matter how cool a site’s design is or how good it looks if not easy to figure out.” @CraigWilliamsPR
- “Simplicity is beauty… K.I.S.(S) Keep It Simple (Sweetie) (that’s the kind version of K.I.S.S)” @Plumlytics
Best tools for creating web content and blog posts:
- Death to the Stock Photo
- Hemingway App
- Google Keyword Analyzer
- Twitter Search
(Editor’s Note: We recently launched a quick and easy tool for creating images and we’d love for you to check it out. Meet Pablo!)
Most essential WordPress plugins:
- Yoast SEO
- Gravity Forms
- Thirsty Affiliates
- I created a list of 20 must-have #WordPress plugins for 2015
Other great tools:
Best tools for lead generation and email collection:
- I haven’t found anything better than OptInMonster for WordPress lead generation/list building. (Full disclaimer, I’m the co-founder of
@optinmonster so I’m a bit biased)
- Lead generation is not the only thing. You have to nurture the lead and engage consistently.
- Pro tip: if you want to boost your email engagement, then start segmenting your list based on user interest.
- I use
@mailchimp and then customer.io for a lot marketing automation
More great tools:
Thank you so much for everyone who joined in on this great chat!Catch #bufferchat each Wednesday at 9 am Pacific/noon Eastern and join our Google+ community for the latest news.
Do you have any comments or answers to these questions? Leave your thoughts in the comments! We’d love to hear from you!