The owner of Brand Driven Digital and founder of the Social Brand Forum Conference, Nick Westergaard, stopped by #Bufferchat to talk about how to get creative in your marketing.
Check out the Storify recap here for the full conversation and even more amazing insights from the #Bufferchat community.
What are some marketing practices that are always good to follow?
- “It sounds trite but the more things change the more they stay the same … strong brands, great stories matter.”
- “Marketing best practices? If you can’t tell by the fact that #branding is a part of almost everything I name…”
- “I worry tho that #branding and #storytelling are abused by biz & have become things we just nod along w/instead of doing.”
- “Actually REPURPOSING is a great best practice/tip/trick. Re-imagine EVERYTHING. Get more than one thing out of all content.”
- “Other best practices? Not forgetting about offline touchpoints. We get so focused on the online that we forget instore, etc”
What are some good ways to go beyond the expected?
““How to exceed? Quit moping that you “aren’t in a cool industry.” ““You can do awesome things whether you are a small non-profit or a garage door spring manufacturer (I’ve done work for both)”“Part of the amazing time we’re working in is that you don’t have to be a car co or cool tech co to do amazing things.”
Good examples of creative marketing:
Where do you go for inspiration?
- “Inspiration for marketing? OUTSIDE OF MARKETING.”
““Focus on how you can drop that idea into your industry. Why can’t a small manufacturer create social graphics like Oreo?”
Business Book Recommendations from Nick:
- Tao of Twitter by Mark W Schaefer
- Primal Branding by Patrick Hanlon
- Youtility by Jay Baer
- On Writing by Stephen King
Thank you to Nick for sharing such great expertise with #Bufferchat!Catch #Bufferchat each week at 9 am Pacific/noon Eastern/4 pm GMT with different guests and topics. Join the Google+ community to keep up on the latest news.